What factors affect your decision-making process in the selection of low and high involvement products? The objective of this project is to gain insights about consumer behavior from examining your own behavior. Additionally, this project may help you become a better consumer.
Document as many factors as possible that influenced product evaluation before purchase, at the time of purchase and after purchase.
• Note if you felt “buyers regret” after the purchase and how you handled the feeling.
• What was the relative importance of advertising, peer influence, social media, direct inspection, outside evaluation, past experience, etc. in your decision process?
• Did taking this course in Consumer Behavior modify your decision-making process for some products or make you more aware of influencing factors?
Record the dates that you were exposed to or sought out information about the product. Also, indicate if you detected the influence in retrospect, that is, after it had an effect. Log information on at least 2 low involvement and 2 high involvement products.
Divide the report into five major sections (1 for each product and a discussion section) and organize as follows: For each of the four products include:
A) Influencing factors and your response before, during and after purchase
B) Chronological recording (dates of actions and influences)
C) Consideration about paying for the product and method of payment (cash, credit, debit, etc.)
D) Your evaluation (rating 0-10 and description) of the:
• Utility (i.e., usefulness)
• Value (i.e., utility for the amount of money spent)
• Compatibility with your lifestyle and personality
• Peer acceptance
• Dissonance (“buyer’s regret”) after purchase
• Overall Satisfaction The discussion section should include:
A) The difference between high and low involvement products
B) How concepts discussed in the course relate to your behavior and cognition
C) If and how taking this course in Consumer Behavior affected your behaviors or cognition