AIM: Write a paper destroying ethical relativism as a viable ethical theory. Here is a list of paper requirements:
- Paragraph 1: In about 3/4 of a page, explain the theory of ethical relativism, making sure to cite the theory and any other ideas or information you get from sources. NOTE: DO NOT USE CULTURAL RELATIVISM. In fact, do not even mention it in this paper. If you use cultural relativism instead of ethical relativism, you won’t receive much, if any, credit. Besides a basic definition of the theory and an explanation of how it works, you might want to include expressions which people use for ethical relativism (such as, “who’s to say what’s right?”); you can also discuss moral absolutism as the polar opposite of relativism. If you include moral absolutism be sure to cite it and also explain clearly its connection to ethical relativism.
- Paragraph 2: In about 1/2 of a page, explain the criticism of ethical relativism called “Moral Infallibility,” making sure to cite the criticism and any other ideas or information you get from sources. Include here how truths are established according to ethical relativism. Also, be sure to be clear about how this criticism works and how it shows the inherent problems within the theory of ethical relativism itself.
- Paragraph 3: In about 1/2 of a page, explain the criticism of ethical relativism called “Moral Equivalence,” making sure to cite the criticism and any other ideas or information you get from sources. Be sure to be clear about how this criticism works and how it shows the inherent problems within the theory of ethical relativism itself.
- Paragraph 4: In about 1/2 of a page, explain in your own words why these two criticisms show that the theory of ethical relativism is absurd, useless, illogical, impossible, etc. That is, you are to USE the two criticisms to show that the problems of ethical relativism stem from its own internal logic, or lack of it. Explain further why ethical relativism cannot be a proper ethic, as a proper ethic is a system of right and wrong, and ethical relativism denies that there are moral wrongs. Lastly, explain why this theory cannot be used to resolve any moral debates.
- Formatting, Citations and Bibliography: Follow all policies and standards for formatting, citing, and providing a bibliography found in the Formatting and Citing Assignment; for a reminder, please see the “Formatting, Citations and Bibliography” entry in the rubric below. NOTE: If you did not complete that assignment, you are still required to know what is required for papers for this course.
Paper Requirements and Grading Rubric:
This rubric represents the paper REQUIREMENTS and point value for each requirement. You should have FOUR paragraphs for this paper.
|Formatting, Citations and Bibliography