HR Topic from List: Career Planning & Development
Question: What impact do professional coaches have on individuals who are transitioning careers
Turning topic to question to problem:
I am studying individuals who are or have been through career transition and work or have worked with a professional coach….
Because I want to find out more about the impact coaches have on an individual’s attitude as well as their success in landing a new position….
So that my reader can understand the value of utilizing a professional coach…
So that they can begin to have better success in securing a new career and having a more positive career transition experience.
Population Who? Type of employee, subgroup, people who may be affected by the outcome Professionals in career transition
Intervention What or how? Management technique/method, factor, independent variable Using a coach
Comparison Compared to what Alternative intervention, factor, variable vs. not using one
Outcome What are you trying to accomplish/improve/change Objective, purpose, goal, dependent variable the impact of coaching on attitude and landing a new role
Context In what kind of organization/circumstances Type of organization, sector, relevant contextual factors On career professionals in transition
Career Coach Career consultant, Career Advisor, Transition Coach, Career counseling
Coaching impact Value of coaches,
Career transition Work transition, Career change,
1) Green, L., Hemmings, B., & Green, A. (2007). Career change and motivation: A matter of balance. Australian Journal of Career Development, 16(1), 20-27. Retrieved from http://ezproxy.villanova.edu/login?url=https://www.proquest.com/scholarly-journals/career-change-motivation-matter-balance/docview/61934587/se-2?accountid=14853
2) Leach, C. (2021). Positive Psychology Coaching for Career Transition and Management. In: Smith, WA., Boniwell, I., Green, S. (eds) Positive Psychology Coaching in the Workplace. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-79952-6_18
3) Sarah Archer & Julia Yates (2017) Understanding potential career changers’ experience of career confidence following a positive psychology based coaching programme, Coaching: An International Journal of Theory, Research and Practice, 10:2, 157-175, DOI: 10.1080/17521882.2017.1292535
4) Katharina Ebner (2021) Promoting career optimism and career security during career coaching: development and test of a model, Coaching: An International Journal of Theory, Research and Practice, 14:1, 20-38, DOI: 10.1080/17521882.2019.1707247
5) Talbott, C. (2013). Essential Career Transition Coaching Skills (1st ed.). Routledge. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203362129
6) Green, L., Hemmings, B., & Green, A. (2007). Career change and motivation: A matter of balance. Australian Journal of Career Development, 16(1), 20-27. Retrieved from http://ezproxy.villanova.edu/login?url=https://www.proquest.com/scholarly-journals/career-change-motivation-matter-balance/docview/206326918/se-2?accountid=148
7) Stevens, P. (2001). What works and what doesn’t in career development programs., 1-10. Retrieved from http://ezproxy.villanova.edu/login?url=https://www.proquest.com/scholarly-journals/what-works-doesnt-career-development-programs/docview/62263437/se-2?accountid=14853
8) Ślebarska, K., & Flakus, M. (2020). Career self-management of unemployed workers: The role of proactive coping in job-to-job transition. Baltic Journal of Management, 15(1), 135-153. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/BJM-06-2020-0189
9) Hennequin, E., Condomines, B., & Wielhorski, N. (2017). Career transition consultants’ perceived roles. Career Development International, 22(6), 683-702. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/CDI-09-2016-0156
10) Quinn-Szcesuil, J. (1997). Employing advice: For professionals facing career confusion — or crisis-hiring a career consultant might be the best course of action. EEO Bimonthly, 28(5), 19. Retrieved from http://ezproxy.villanova.edu/login?url=https://www.proquest.com/scholarly-journals/employing-advice-professionals-facing-career/docview/235974205/se-2?accountid=14853
13) Peterson, D. B. (1996). Executive coaching at work: The art of one-on-one change. Consulting Psychology Journal: Practice and Research, 48(2), 78–86. https://doi.org/10.1037/1061-4087.48.2.78
14) Wasylyshyn, K. M. (2021). The “art” of executive coaching at the top: Using clients’ self-imagery as a tool for high impact. Consulting Psychology Journal: Practice and Research. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1037/cpb0000212
• What is career transition?
• Who goes through it?
o Great resignation
• Where/What kind of environments does this typically occur in?
o Corp America
• How doe Career transition impact people? What are the challenges to them?
o Emotional – Loss of purpose, etc.
o Tactical – Resume, SEO, etc.
• What is a professional coach?
• How do they support people in career transition?
• Why is this important?
• How can the above learnings be practically applied?
o Use a coach