Determination of lmax using Solution C:
- Read the Absorbance of solution C at the different wavelengths by following the spectrophotometer operating instructions:
- Set wavelength to 400 nm.
- With sample compartment empty and the mode set to TRANSMITTANCE, set the display to 0% by adjusting the lower LEFT hand knob. Once this is set, do NOT touch this lower left hand knob again.
- Switch the mode to ABSORBANCE. Insert clean cuvette that is about half full of deionized water. Adjust the display to 0% by using the lower RIGHT hand knob.
- Insert the sample and read the absorbance.
- Reset the wavelength by increasing it 10 nm and repeat Step 1a-d.
- Once data has been collected for all the wavelengths, plot absorbance versus wavelength. Include this graph in your report sheet.
- Determine lmax (the wavelength with the maximum absorbance).