The Experiential Learning Project (ELP) is the culminating academic endeavor of nursing students who earn a baccalaureate degree in nursing from Ohio University. The project provides students with the opportunity to explore a problem or issue of particular professional interest that is somehow related to one of the following nursing QSEN competencies: patient-centered care, teamwork/collaboration, evidence based practice, quality improvement, safety or informatics (QSEN). Each of the QSEN competencies somehow link to nursing excellence. For your project you will need to:
- Select an issue/problem that you have a professional interest in. Example: Creation of a patient education tool to prevent falls
- Select a QSEN competency that relates to that problem. Example: Safety
- Select a health care organization that can help support your issue: Example: The CDC
- Develop a global objective: Example: At the completion of this project I will have developed a patient educational tool to present to staff on 1-South to be distributed to all patients on 1-South to prevent falls.
- Develop at least four project objectives: Example:
- Research current literature on the prevention of falls and patient educational material content.
- Seek falls data from ABC Hospital quality department and specifically from the 1-South Unit.
- Review data results and evaluate for trends.
- Develop a patient educational tool on fall prevention.
- Educate staff on use of the patient educational tool
- Implement patient educational tool and present to at least ten patients on 1-South.
- Develop possible resources needed to help meet your goals/objectives.
- Meet with unit manager and seek approval on project implementation.
- Review the CDC web site for current references and resources on fall prevention.
- Create patient educational tool, copy and prepare to distribute.
- Create a timeline to implement the patient educational tool.
This assignment is the first of five assignments to complete your Experiential Learning Project (ELP). Each weekly assignment will build upon the last one. It is very important that you follow the directions carefully and review your teachers document/grading rubric for comments so that you can improve each week.
This Form is to be typed.
Project Topic: Give a brief explanation of your topic and identify the one QSEN.org competency that best fits your topic (use the graduate competencies under education on QSEN.org) and that you will address in your project.
Discuss Health Care Organization(this is not the facility/organization where you are implementing your project, may be a nursing organization, or any organization which sets standards, conducts research, or publishes evidence based literature in relation to your topic) that will help support your project. Discussion should include the mission/values of the organization (in your own words). Provide citations and references (no direct quotes). Choose one organization.
The purpose of a global objective is to provide a vision for your overall project. It should be broadly stated, it is what you will be developing and implementing in this course, what is your final product (example: if you are creating a tool to educate patients-then the global objective is the development and presentation of this education). Write 1 Global Objective (Do Not Use Any Abbreviations). An objective should consist of one sentence.
Now your global objective should be broken down into more focused steps. Be sure your Project Objectives support your Global Objective! How will you achieve your global objective? Be specific. List 4 Project Objectives…objectives should start with an action verb! (Do Not Use Any Abbreviations) For example; Research on…Develop a tool/guide/protocol/policy/process to…Develop and present education to staff on new tool…Implement new tool on ___number of patients to improve…
Direct patient contact/engagement-implementation in clinical practice: Describe in one or two sentences how you will provide direct patient engagement (contact) in your clinical practice project and describe how this will impact patient outcomes. (Keep in mind you are not required to actually measure your outcomes, but you will need to describe your potential/projected improved patient outcomes). Your direct patient engagement could be the use of a new tool/process/guide/protocol/procedure on patients. Be specific, how many patients will you implement this project and how do you predict this will impact patient outcomes?
Possible steps to assist me in completing my project: List at least 4 steps in your project
(Do Not Use Any Abbreviations)